Because HSGG is distributed among several departments, it is difficult to comprehensively list all facilities available within our community, let alone all of those available to us in the UC system. The informaiton below is intended to represent the kinds of facilities we have, but if you have a specific quesiton, contact us directly.
- Each faculty member purchases and maintains computers for their lab group, aided by the IT staff in the administrative cluster they belong to.
- Individual departments as well as colleges and organzed research units have developed computing clusters that support numerical simulation. UC Davis also has several facilities asociate dwith geospatial data visualization.
- Individual faculty and departments have file servers to store and backup faculty and student data.
- Remote Website - Real-time Educational Monitoring Of The Environment (REMOTE) is a new interdisciplinary project that will provide students with real-time access through a web site tdata on environmental conditions at UC-Davis field sites. REMOTE will use a network of desktop computers, telemetry, data loggers, and environmental sensors tconnect students tthe environment continuously for the purposes of deepening their understanding of individual processes and broadening their perspective on environmental interactions. The data provided by REMOTE will cut across the science and engineering curriculum and thus promote cross-campus cooperation among faculty and students.
- Standard scientific software commonly used by faculty and students include (but are not limited to) ArcGIS, ENVI, hydrological models, hydrodynamic models, hermodynamic equilibrium algorithms, MATLAB, Mathematica, statistics software packages, Endnote, Microsoft Office, Acrobat Professional.
- Veihmeyer 106: Vadose zone and soil physics laboratory. This is used to develop innovative methods to measure soil moisture, temperature, and associated variables. There is a also a temperatur controlled room within this laboratory that is used to develop soil characteristic curves for unsaturated soils.
- Veihmeyer 126 and 215l: Nanopure water purification system, dissolved carbon analyzer, GCs with FID, TCD, and ELCD detectors, RGA3 hydrogen gas analyzer, HPLC with conductivity and UV spectrophotometer, UV-VIS spectrophotometer, AA spectrophotometer with graphite furnace and vapor generation accessories, automated pH titration system, controlled pH/Eh assemblies, and wide range of lab and field equipment and kits for water quality determinations.
- Veihmeyer 206: Shared lab for various subsurface and surface hydrology research
- Veihmeyer 228: Sediment core precessing, imaging, and analysis as well as pollen extraction and counting.
- Stable Isotope laboratory for analysis of stable isotopes in various compounds.
- Microbiological laboratories (via collaboration with the Soils & Biogeochemistry Group) for Microbial analysis by qPCR and other techniques.
On-Campus Large Outdoor/Indoor Facilities
- Campbell Tract: this is an area of buildings and agricultural fields where faculty and students in HSGG can store various research equipment and supplies as well as conduct experiments involving agricutlural fields. The Cmapbell Tract is renowned for the two large lysimeters it has.
- Luthin Lab: this is a building that is used for storing equipment and supplies as wlel as conducting various indoor sm
all to large scale experiiments, such as using rainflal simulators. When a faculty member or student needs a large open (indoor) space, this is the place to go
- Amorocho Hydraulics Lab: This is a facility for conducting hydraulic experiments using flumes and tanks of various shapes and sizes. There ar indoor and outdoor facilities.
- Fleet Services for SUVs, 4x4s, vans, cars, pickup trucks, etc.
- 14' Zodiac with 40 hp motor
- Larger motor boats at field sites like Bodega Marine Laboratory and Lake Tahoe
- 8' inflatable whitewater raft and various kayaks
- 2-passenger ATV
Surveying and Mapping
- Professional grade robotic and manual total station surveying equipment
- Survey grade RTK GPS equipment for cm-resolution mapping
- Mapping grade differential GPS for enviornmental mapping
- Aerial kite-blimp for submeter to centimeter resolution digital color imagery
Water storage and flux
- Data loggers
- Weather stations
- Water level tapes and transducers
- Double and single ring infiltrometers
- Soil moisture sensors and tensiometers
- Soil water samplers
- Soil temperature sensors
- Well samplers
- Sampling carts and pumps for monitoring conventional or small-diameter research wells
- Well water level sounders
- Bowen ratievapotranspiration equipment
- Evaporation pan
- Automatic water samplers
- Acoustic Doppler Current Profiler for stream gaging
- Velocity sensors for hydraulic research and stream gaging
- Coring/drilling equipment- Geoprobe drilling rig
- Numerous sizes, shapes, and types of soil samplers and augers
- Russian peat corer
- Ro-Tap sieve shaker
- Laser particle size analyzer
- Gas chromatograph, with flame ionization detector, suitable for fixed, but temporary facilities at sites
- Atomic Adsorption Spectrophotometry
- Ion Chromotography
- Field sensors for pH, EC, temperature, DO, etc.
- See more above under Chemsitry Laboratories
Energy Balance, Carbon, and Other
- LI-COR system for monitoring surface efflux of carbon dioxide, methane or other volatile species
- Spectral imager