MS Plan I Progress Report

Approved Degree Requirements:

MS Plan I - Thesis



Water Policy and Management

Physical Hydrology



Earth Surface Processes

Pre-2016 Program


These procedures follow the approved degree requirements for the Hydrologic Sciences Graduate Group. The Specialization documents contain the advising forms and procedural information for graduate students pursuing a Master’s degree in Hydrologic Sciences for each specialization under Plan I - Thesis. Degree requirements for HYS were previously established; these required procedural forms will guide each student through his/her education and help track performance. 

The degree-requirements form is intended to be filled out upon completion of coursework and must be signed by the student, Major Professor, and Graduate Advisor in order to graduate.

The educational plan and coursework progress report form serves two roles. To function as an educational planning tool, it is intended to be completely drafted for all anticipated years of coursework by the student in collaboration with his/her Major Professor upon entry into HYS. The student should refer to the degree-requirements form to make sure that the plan accounts for all requirements. It is likely that specifics of the plan will change over time, but it is important to establish an initial plan to make sure that the student’s education will achieve his/her desired educational goals as well as meet degree requirements. Once drafted, the student must schedule to meet with his Graduate Advisor for review of the plan. The plan must be submitted to Student Affairs Officer by November 15. At the beginning of each subsequent academic year, the student will meet with her Major Professor, record the grades earned in the previous year, review/amend the plan for the remaining years, and then the Major Professor will initial the form in the far right cell for that year. Then the student must schedule to meet with his/her Graduate Advisor for review and initials. The updated form must be submitted to Student Affairs Officer by November 15 each year. The form is updated annually through the student’s career in HYS.

The M.S. Thesis Annual Progress Report Form must be completed and submitted to Student Affairs Officer by May 30 each year. Students should endeavor to establish a thesis committee in the first year of study. In that first year, the initial in-person meeting with each committee member (or as a group) counts as the required meetings for that year. The student should describe the experimental design of his/her thesis and solicit input at the initial meeting. In each subsequent year, the student must meet with each committee member one time individually or as a group in-person. The student should report the progress of the work and solicit input at each annual meeting, making sure committee members initial and date the form at each meeting. When the student is ready to graduate, this form should be reviewed and signed by the student’s Graduate Advisor.