All graduate students have a Major Professor who serves as the student’s research and academic adviser. Graduate students are encouraged to have high expectations for mentoring by their Major Professor. In addition, three faculty including the Major Professor, the Graduate Advisor and another member at large of the HSGG serve on a Guidance Committee for each student to assist in developing a Program of Study. Plan I MS students also have a Thesis Committee. Students working towards a Ph.D. have a Qualifying Exam committee and after that a Dissertation Committee. Each individual and committee plays a role in helping a graduate student reach their educational goals and are described below. The Graduate Advisor plays a crucial role in answering questions about degree requirements and associated signing forms.

The advising area of the HSGG web page provides faculty and students with information about all phases of advising. Students can find forms to help plan their graduate educations. There is also the Student Handbook that is loaded with details about all aspects of education at UC Davis. We encourage continuing students and perspective applicants to look over this information at their convenience.



During graduate education students may need to fill out and submit various forms.  Almost all of the forms that are available may be found at  In addition, the Registrar's Office has the petition for change of major, objective, double major form that some students may need and can be found at


Student Affairs Office

Shila Ruiz, Graduate Program Coordinator
Hydrologic Sciences Graduate Group
1152 Plant & Environmental Sciences 
University of California at Davis
Davis, CA 95616-8627
(530) 752-1669



Graduate Advisers

Graduate advisors are reponsible for tracking students' progress on achieving degree requirements and signing various forms that confirm student progress.  In addiiton, graduate advisors work with students on academic probation (i.e., GPA <3.0) to help them address problems and return to good academic standing. Students are required to meet with their graduate advisor at least once a year in the fall to complete the form due on November 15. Graduate students should also regularly discuss their educational plans with their major professor. 

Students are assigned to an advisor who has a different area of research to avoid conflicts of interest.  There is roughly one advisor for every 10-15 HSGG students. The current advisors and the groups of students they serve are listed below- students may refer to the student web page to see the area of research they are in.  Only in an emergency should a student seek someone other than their assigned advisor to sign forms.  The HSGG Chair may also sign forms in an emergency.  However, students should study due dates in the student handbook and plan ahead to avoid such emergencies.

Students who research resources and water quality are advised by:

Carlos Puente
127 Veihmeyer Hall
(530) 752-0689


Students who research earth surface processes and landforms or physical hydrology are advised by:

Graham Fogg
237 Veihmeyer Hall
(530) 752-5262


Students who research subsurface hydrology or critical zone hydrology are advised by:

Samuel Sandoval
135 Veihmeyer Hall
(530) 754-9646