The Hydrologic Sciences Graduate Group offers a world-class, graduate-level education leading to MS and PhD degrees. Applicants are required to meet minimum UC Davis requirements. Beyond that, HSGG requires students seeking the technical education we offer to have substantial preparatory coursework. The most competitive applicants also have prior experience in scientific research or professional work related to the direction they want to take with their education in Hydrologic Sciences.
University Minimum Requirements
Applicants to the Hydrologic Sciences Graduate Group degree program must have a bachelor's degree comparable in both distribution of academic subject matter and scholarship achievement to a degree from the University of California with a minimum B average (3.0 GPA) in undergraduate coursework. Applicants will be evaluated on the basis of transcripts, the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), a written statement of purpose, and three letters of recommendation from professors, professional colleagues, employment supervisors, or others in a position to evaluate the applicant's work and potential in an area related to hydrologic sciences.
HSGG Admissions Requirements
Admissions into our program is highly competitive. Students entering the program should have a strong undergraduate background in the sciences or engineering. Preparatory coursework requirements are detailed in the degree requirements. Students are encourage to fulfill as many of these as possible before applying to the program, and this is an important factor in deciding admissions. Admitted Students who are lacking some preparatory coursework can rectify these deficiencies during the first year of study under direction of their appointed Graduate Advisor.
How to Apply & Application Deadlines
Begin your application process as early as possible as much as a full year before intended enrollment. Advice on what to do is provided at the admissions process web page. Early completion of the application gives you a better chance of receiving an appointment as a graduate teaching or research assistant.
HSGG admissions are governed by different deadlines for the following fall quarter admission. List of Grad Studies deadlines can be found at this link.
- The priority deadline for application and UCD fellowship considerations is January 5.
- The general deadline is May 1.
The Graduate Record Examination is required of all students applying to the Hydrologic Sciences Graduate Group. For more information about the Graduate Record Examination, contact:
Graduate Record Examinations
Educational Testing Service
P.O. Box 6000
Princeton, New Jersey 08541-6000.
On-line application and complete instructions for graduate study are available in September of each year.
Additional Guidelines for Application
- Report GRE and TOEFL scores electronically directly to the institution.
Institutional code: 4834
Department codes for Hydrologic Sciences: 0599 (GRE) and 75 (TOEFL)
- Transcript Submission: UC Davis requires academic records from each college-level institution you have attended. You will be instructed to upload scanned copies of your transcripts after you have submitted your online application. For more details visit https://gradstudies.ucdavis.edu/submit-transcripts.
- All letters of recommendation must be submitted electronically by the referee, through the on-line application. The on-line application will automatically notify the referee and provide instructions on how to submit his/her letter.